Friday, March 28, 2008

Are You A Feminist?




"Does feminist mean large unpleasant person who'll shout at you or someone who believes women are human beings. To me it's the latter, so I sign up." Margaret Atwood

I'm lucky--and free--enough to call myself a feminist. Women in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Darfur, too many other countries around the globe ...and right here in America... aren't so lucky.

Watch the video.

Then go here: Feminist Majority Foundation - Breaking News, Feminism from Affirmative Action to Sexual Harassment to Women's Sports

Then act. Why? Because you can.

Oh, and have a nice weekend. Because you can.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger David Goldenberg said...

I've been supporting this cause since the 1960's, right after I got out of my "anti-feminist" sheltered New England surroundings. I was enlightened in Baltimore!

But seriously, folks--the renewed discussion of racism in our society, through the Obama campaign and immigration fears, is very healthy and productive. However, racism and xenophobia are only two of the big four issues of bigotry and bias in America--the other two are homophobia and anti-feminism, if that is such a term.

As much as I hear the racial put-down everyday in the market, with friends and family, or just hanging around conscious, so do I hear the remarks about the other gender. For instance, in a moment of guile and trust, I mentioned to my dentist, an immigrant from Iraq or Iran it's hard to say, he's Jewish nonetheless--I told him something about a mutual friend's personality with which I was at odds. That mutual friend happened to be a woman. I asked my dentist/friend what he thought was her problem and he responded, "she's a woman--that's how they are."

Nope--and I disagree! Just like all Asians are bad drivers and Jews are cheap--the only cheap bastards I know are gentiles.

Anyway, great oint sally--great video, and wouldn't ya think by now we'd have this thing nailed down? I mean after all, women did get to be voters when...? 1920--that's a long time ago no? Only 144 AFTER the Declaration of Independence (all men are created...oh what about that other species--women, slaves, foriegners???) and only 55 years after the Slaves were freed! African slaves could vote before WOMEN! What, am I off base here? I mean they are so different after all! Women that is...

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home