Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Bad Fit for Mitt



"One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president.'' Mitt Romney

"I misspoke. It's not service to the country, it's service for me, and there's just no comparison there. Service in this country is an extraordinary sacrifice being made by individuals and their families.'' Mitt Romney

Open mouth. Insert foot. Open mouth. Remove foot.

As a liberal left winger, I allot blog space to Republicans only when they tick me off. I honestly can't think of a time I ever defended one. For Mitt Romney, I'm making a small exception.

Caveat: I'm not defending Mitt the Candidate, but Mitt the Father.

I'm seriously impressed with Mitt and Mrs. Mitt for raising five sons, none of whom appear to be underachievers or crack addicts. That's an accomplishment right there. Keeping them out of Iraq is another.

As the mother of one son, nothing and nobody could convince me to let him serve in Iraq. I'd throw myself in front of a tank first.

Don't tell me I'm being un-American. I'm being a Mother. And asserting my right as an American to oppose a political war launched by evil men under false pretenses for their own ego and monetary gratification.

Why in god's name should my son--or Mitt Romney's sons or anybody's kids--serve and die for that?

Sadly, horribly, America's underserved underclass make up the majority of our fighting forces. It's beyond unfair. No way those men and women should be decimated further by war just because they reached for education and opportunity offered by the military in peacetime.

But don't blame me as a mother for hating the war in Iraq. Or for wanting my son to Be All That He Can Be right here on American soil. And don't blame Mitt Romney the Father for wanting his sons safe and sound too.

Rich, poor or anywhere in between, none or us wants our children added to Iraq's obscene body count. And I'd like to know how many of the reporters currently hounding Mitt Romney have kids of their own serving in Iraq.

Yes, Mitt the Candidate gave a dumb answer when asked why his sons aren't serving in Iraq. But it was a DUMB QUESTION. So his reply was off the cuff and rightly tongue in cheek.

A candidate for president should be asked serious questions about his stand on the war. Taking part of an offhand reply to a personal question out of context and blowing it up into a media circus doesn't serve the public interest. It is an insult -- more even to military families than to the Romney family.

Mitt's correct, we have a volunteer army. The reality is that his kids (and mine) are lucky they don't have to "volunteer" in order to feed themselves or their families. We should applaud the dedication, hard work and sacrifice of those who do.

Bush, Cheney and the rest of the warmongers don't applaud anything but greed. They love to call us unpatriotic if we're against the war. All the while they get rich on the graves of thousands. They should all burn in hell.

Bottom line, we should not make lack of military service a political football. Unless we kick that sucker right in Dubya's smirking face.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home