Friday, August 17, 2007

Rudy Giuliani - Family Guy


Mike Derer, AP

"The best thing I can say is kind of, 'Leave my family alone, just like I'll leave your family alone.'" Rudy Giuliani

Wow, back-to-back Republican candidates taking hits about their families. And badly bungling their responses. Can my week get any better?

Actually, I defended Mitt Romney when a bogus issue was made of his sons not serving in Iraq -- regardless of his lame response. But I was defending the Family Guy, not the candidate.

And my real point was to make an anti-war statement.

No presidential--or any other--candidate should win or lose points based on his or her children's military service while our country has a volunteer army. Period.

At least Romney's five sons are all over his presidential campaign. Giuliani's two grown children could apparently care less about his.

Rudy Giuliani is tripping if he thinks we're going to ignore those and other actions in his, uh, colorful family life.

The reason Rudy's messy train wreck of a divorce was such juicy public fodder was because neither of the enraged, vengeful participants--especially Mr. Giuliani--could bring themselves to shut up. Not the kind of traits I'd want to see in a president.

It's not surprising Rudy's daughter has shown support for Barack Obama and his son's let it be known he and his father don't speak. A woman at a Giuliani rally in New Hampshire had this to say:
"If a person is running for president, I would assume their children would be behind them. If they're not, you've got to wonder."
Under the worst possible circumstances in any family, Hillary and Chelsea publicly closed ranks behind Bill Clinton. If Rudy Giuliani's kids don't have even a neutral word to say about him during the beginning of his presidential campaign, I'd do more than wonder.

And I'd be happy to have Rudy leave my family alone.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger NomDebPlume said...

From the beginning of time, I think children have been good at doing the opposite of what their parents want, but with Giuliani's messy divorce and subsequent estrangement from his kids, I agree it would be difficult to expect their support now.
(http://thenewsroom.com/details/576499/Campaign+2008?c_id=wom-bc-dv)

- Debi from The Political Desk at TheNewsRoom.com

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home