Saturday, July 09, 2005

Blog Psychology









"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." Mark Twain

London's exploding. G-8's imploding. The Supreme Court is eroding. Reporters are in jail. Rove's beyond the pale. The Church has a new Evolution Grail.

Bloggers everywhere have a great opportunity to post thoughtful, provocative, intelligent, even belligerent articles on the sorry state of affairs in the world.

So what's the biggest draw on AMERICAblog today? Read it and weep. But I bet you'll do the test too.

Ok, can someone explain this? by John in DC - 7/09/2005

This is one of those emails going around, and it worked for me, and now I'm kind of freaked out. Read through this - and finish each mathematical calculation before moving on to the next question - then post in the comments if it worked for you, and someone please explain why. Because it worked for me.

At the end of this message, you are asked a question. Answer it immediately. Don't stop and think about it. Just say the first thing that pops into your mind.

Now... just follow the instructions as quickly as possible. Do not go to the next calculation before you have finished the previous one

You don't need to write or remember the answers, just do it using your mind.

You'll be surprised.

Start:

How much is:

15 + 6


3 + 56


89 + 2


12 + 53


75 + 26


25 + 52


63 + 32

I know! Calculations are hard work, but it's nearly over. Come on, one more...

123 + 5





QUICK! THINK ABOUT A COLOR AND A TOOL!



Scroll further to the bottom...


A bit more...







You just thought about a red hammer, didn't you?


If that was not your answer, you are among 2% of people who have a different, if not abnormal, mind. 98% of people will answer a red hammer while doing this exercise.



My Pop Psychology Explanation:

1. Doing addition in your head evokes childhood efforts/memories
+
1. Being told to give an answer RIGHT NOW evokes childhood trials/memories
=
2. Red hammer is a memorable childhood toy -- evoked by a childish exercise.

But 2%, schmoo-percent, if I'd come up with a Pink Power-drill, Freud would offer a different interpretation.

My question: Why did nearly 300 people (including me) take this fairly moronic test and comment about it in little more than an hour?

My answer: Sometimes you just gotta get outta town and float on Denial.

What's yours?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

brown pair of pliers. but i always knew i was differnt

6:31 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

"Isn't blogging basically for angry, semi-employed losers who are too untalented or too lazy to get real jobs in journalism?"

My answer?
Yes.
He just described me.

(I put this comment here rather than there because you most likely wouldn't have noticed it there since it is an old post)

6:39 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

blue post hole digger

7:04 PM  
Blogger Sally Swift said...

It seems David is grist for Freud's mill....

9:06 PM  
Blogger Cynthia Johnston said...

Red hammer. What's WRONG with me? All my ego is invested in being Abby Normal.

I hate being so predictable.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Rashan said...

Red hammer. I don't ever remember playing with one but yes, I too thought red hammer. I think there is something more than this behind the red hammer. Maybe that red is the most notible color that people often confuses Magenta with Red, and that hammer is one of the first tools invented by primal man. And after doing these simple calculations your mind is forced to go into logical mode and the sudden shock into the creative territory of the mind forces you to think of the first two simple thoughts regarding particular subjects to come into mind. Color: RGB-Red (1) Green (2) Blue (3); Tool: Hammer.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home