Friday, June 03, 2005

That's Entertainment?

"The only news I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." Johnny Depp

Serious news is happening around the globe. But this week some small entertainment stories are causing me big time agita. I need to get it off my chest for the weekend.

The Scientology Stooge

"Tom should stick to saving the world from aliens, and let women who are experiencing postpartum depression decide what treatment options are best for them." Brooke Shields

You tell him, Brooke! Sweet Jesus, just what we need, another dumbass religious fanatic dictating what we should do with our bodies.

Since when is Tom Cruise of all people an expert on postpartum depression? Or, come to think of it, on anything more weighty than grinning and grimacing for the camera? Of course, lack of credentials has never shut a movie star up, so why shouldn't Cruise open his yap on matters medical?

Well, for one thing, he's an idiot. In my expert opinion. And for another, he's an anti-medical-science Scientology freak. And if we need any more reasons, there's always this one: HE'S NOT A WOMAN! (Insert your own joke here.)

Still, I have to wonder why Cruise felt compelled to dis Brooke Shields and her book on postpartum depression during his recent appearance on Access Hollywood. He called Shields "irresponsible" for recounting the benefits of medication in her own struggle with PPD.

And while on the subject, the little punk (no, I did not mean to say 'hunk') had the nerve to bloviate against psychiatry, depression and antidepressants too. It seems Scientologist Cruise is "concerned" that Shields might have influenced women to turn to therapy and medication for relief from PPD -- instead of his far more "effective" prescription of vitamins and exercise. God save us from self-righteous do-gooders.

Yes, Tom, we all know vitamins and exercise are a valuable component of health, well-being and even in the treatment of many diseases and conditions. But postpartum depression-any clinical depression-is a serious, often devastating and potentially life threatening condition if not diagnosed and treated correctly.

It worries me to think star-struck female viewers actually might listen to a doofus like Cruise rather than consider Shields' thoughtful, well-documented advice about mainstream medical treatments that could save them untold suffering.

If Tom Cruise wants to cling to the voodoo of Scientology, let him tell Katie Holmes it's all in her head when she starts chasing him around the kitchen with a butcher knife soon after giving birth.

I'm not even depressed, and that's what I'd like to do to him right now.

Speaking of Blowhards.....

Rush to Insanity

"CALLER Melissa: I started listening to you two years ago, and it made me realize how extremely conservative I am, and about two months after that I became engaged and I thought, 'Oh, no, what if he's not as conservative as I am?' And through listening to you, he has really come around and this podcasting is really going to make it a lot easier for me to continue my husband training."

Husband training??? I gotta tell you, it scares the bejezzus out of me that people like Melissa are allowed to marry. And procreate. And, and, and ... VOTE.

It's bad enough Rush Limbaugh's foul garbage has been stinking up the airwaves through a radio show. Now his awful offal is polluting the Internet in the new format of podcasting.

It's called "Rush 24/7." An international platform for Limbaugh to spew more misanthropic, xenophobic, racist, sexist anti-American filth. This guy is a liar and panderer who takes public pride in being deliberately and cruelly offensive to virtually every segment of society. He's far worse than a windbag -- he's an ill wind that carries nothing but hate.

And now his vicious, repugnant claptrap can be downloaded directly to your iPod for your brainwashing pleasure. Clearly we're in Hell.

Rush Limbaugh's got a right to free speech. And we have a right to disregard everything he says. What's really dangerous is that millions of people don't.

Oh, by the way, Rush's website boasts a page of his most elevating quotes. This is my current favorite. And one that I'm sure speaks directly to his equally ignorant devotees:

"I pronounce school 'skrool' because I hated it. I felt screwed having to go. Skrool, I hated it, so that's why I say 'skrool.'"

Way to go after the Moron Lobby, Rush.

One Last Thing

Just for the record: there is absolutely nothing that could be said or done about or by Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston that would interest me for a nanosecond.

Please excuse me while I go take some Pepto.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home