Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl Mom


Donald Miralle, Getty Images

"I mean, look, they played well. They made some plays. We made some plays. In the end, they made a couple more than we did." Bill Belichick

Oh please. The New England Patriots have set awesome records and made it to many Super Bowls, but as far as sportsmanship goes, their coach is a big baby, a damn sore loser and should be spanked.

The Eagles weren't in the Super Bowl so I wasn't going to watch. Plus, my son hates the Giants. I don't know why, but that's good enough for me. As it happens, I hate the Patriots. Because they cheated. And that's bad enough for me.

Ever since the Pats and head coach Bill Belichick were caught, fined and sanctioned for stealing signals, I've been pissed. That's no way to inspire the youth of America! Belichick's boorish behavior last night put the icing on the cake.

Now there's word the Pats also may have taped the St. Louis Rams' final walk through before the 2002 Super Bowl. Makes you wonder, did they steal signals and the Super Bowl from the Eagles too? Jeez, that would add a cherry on top.

In the end we watched the game because, well, it's the Super Bowl. I yelled at Belichick -- let's face it, he's fun to hate. And I have to admit I cheered for the Giants ... well, not so much for the team as for Eli Manning.

I wanted both Manning brothers to be MVPs and win Super Bowl rings. Not exactly scientific sports logic but what can I say, I'm a mom. I know the Manning family is proud of their baby boys.

As a football fan, I can say the Patriots played like they already had it; the Giants played like they desperately wanted it.

That's a good lesson for anybody. Confidence is great but arrogance can turn around and bite you in the butt. Best to do what Mom always said: play hard, play fair, play to win.

And remind your coach to act like a grown up and lead the way in sincere tribute to the winning team.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home