Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Signs of Dumb Driving



"Gemini: These natural multitaskers can be found behind the wheel of a car while simultaneously checking their palms, on their cell phones and shaving." Vedic Astrologer, Carol Allen

What's your sign? If it's Aries or Taurus I'll get in a car with you. If it's Libra or Virgo, don't even ask. And by the way, if you're a Virgo from Rhode Island, your drivers license should be taken away.

What am I talking about? Two lists I found on AOL. An astrology rating Stars and Cars: The Best and Worst Drivers by Sign. And a list based on a GMAC Insurance test of driving knowledge by state Beware of Dumb Drivers.

I don't know about you, but other than occasionally reading my horoscope for fun, I don't care all that much about astrology. Nor do I put much faith in it as a predictor of personal behaviors. And definitely not driving abilities. (Especially since it claims Cancers are good drivers, which both my husband and my younger sister are decidedly not.)

However, when it comes to an insurance company survey ranking driving knowledge based on actual road tests, I pay attention.

I was not at all surprised to find Pennsylvania one of the Top Ten Dumb Driver states. PA's in good--and obvious--company with New York, New Jersey, Maryland and DC.

I was surprised to find the bottom ten also included New Mexico and Hawaii. I guess it's because those states are filled with transplanted East Coasters. Florida, by the way, is just above PA, no stretch there.

What constitutes a dumb driver, you ask? In this case, failing GMAC's 20-question test based on typical state drivers license exams.

Here again is the list of states' rankings. And here's the scariest part about the results: about a third of all drivers said they don't stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. At least one in five drivers was unaware that pedestrians have the right of way.

Now I don't know whether to walk or drive.

If you're getting in a car soon, check this out Car Safety- Defensive Driving 101. Please.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home